Japan is one of the most technologically advanced countries in the world. It is also a popular destination for international students, including Bangladesh. In fact, one of the key destinations Bangladesh students travel to is Japan! This means these students must apply to Japan for a student visa from Bangladesh.
You will need a student visa if you wish to study in Japan for a period of longer than 90 days. If you are a first-timer, the visa process can be overwhelming. But with the right information and guidance, it is much easier.
In this article, we’ll go into the eligibility criteria, required documents, application process, and other important information. Let’s get right into how Bangladeshi students can access a Japanese education.
Can Bangladeshi Students Study in Japan?
The simple answer is: yes, Bangladeshi students can study in Japan! Japan is a popular destination for international students who are looking for high-quality education, a safe and modern environment, and a rich cultural experience.
Bangladesh is no exception to finding Japan an attractive study-abroad destination. Japan joins the leagues of Canada, the USA, Australia, and Malaysia as one of the key destinations for Bangladesh students!
There are several types of programs that you can enroll in, including undergraduate, graduate, and research programs. You can choose from engineering, science, medicine, business, arts, and humanities.
To study in Japan, you need to meet certain eligibility criteria, such as:
- Having a high school diploma or relevant bachelor’s degree
- Passing an entrance examination,
- Meeting the language proficiency requirements.
Japanese language proficiency is usually a requirement for admission. Many universities offer Japanese language classes to help international students.
The cost of studying in Japan can vary depending on the-
- your program,
- your university,
- your personal expenses.
However, many universities offer scholarships and other financial aid to help international students cover their expenses.
How to Apply for a Student Visa in Japan from Bangladesh?
Once you have applied to and received admission from a Japanese university, the next step is to get yourself to Japan is applying for a student visa from Bangladesh.
Here's the general process on how to apply for a Japan student visa from Bangladesh:
- Find a school: Find a school in Japan that you want to attend. Make sure the university offers a course that interests you. You also need to meet the university’s eligibility requirements for international students. If you're on a tight budget you can still get an excellent education at one of the cheapest universities in Japan for international students.
- Apply to the school: Submit an application to the school. Wait for an acceptance letter.
- Apply for a Certificate of Eligibility: To apply for a student visa in Japan, you will need a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) from the Ministry of Justice of Japan. Contact your university to apply for the CoE on your behalf!
- Gather documents: Collect all of the necessary documents. For the visa, this includes copies and originals of your passport, academic transcripts, and financial statements, as well as the CoE.
- Submit the visa application: Once you have the CoE, you should submit your complete application to the Japanese embassy in Bangladesh, along with the necessary documents.
- Attend the visa interview: This will be a chance for the consular officer to ask questions about your academic and financial background.
- Wait for the visa: According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan, visas can take as little as 5 days to process. This processing time can be a bit longer if there are many visa applications in a short space of time, or if there are any complications with the application itself.
- Arrive in Japan: Once you receive visa approval, you can travel to Japan and begin your studies.
Applying for a Student Visa in Japan (A to Z)
The visa application is not that complicated as long as you know what to do. You just need to maintain consistency and prepare the necessary papers. We’ve broken down how you can get your visa into a series of simple steps:
Getting the Visa Application Forms
You can get the visa application form online, or drop by the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh office during office hours to collect one. Compared to visa application processes in other countries, the Japan visa application form is a simple two-page document asking you for:
- Personal details (such as your name, gender, and marital status)
- Identification information (such as your passport details)
- Travel information (when and where in Japan you plan to travel to)
- Guarantor or Inviting Person in Japan (this is where you would fill out your school’s provided details)
Alongside the form, you will need to paste a recent 2 x 1.4-inch image to the form before submission. Pictures taken within the past 6 months work perfectly fine. These need to fit the standards of passport and visa photographs.
Apply for a Japanese Student Visa
First, you need to ensure that you meet the requirements for the type of visa you are applying for, such as a tourist, work, or study visa. Once you have determined your eligibility, you can fill out the necessary forms and gather the required documents, such as a passport, photographs, and proof of financial stability.
It is essential to submit your application during the designated hours and to ensure that all documents meet the validity requirements, including passing the six-month mark since any previous visa refusals. Applying well in advance of your travel date is also crucial, as visa processing times can vary depending on the country and the type of visa.
After submitting your application, you will receive an "application receipt" that confirms your submission. It is crucial to keep this receipt safe as it contains information about your visa application and can be used to track its progress. By following these steps and being diligent in your preparations, you can increase your chances of a successful visa application and enjoy a hassle-free travel experience.
Get a Visa Application Appointment
To get an appointment for submitting your visa, you will need to reach out to the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh through email. You will need to download the appointment reservation format from the Embassy website. This is an Excel sheet that you can fill out with the details of your application and attach to your email requesting an appointment to email@example.com.
The Embassy requests applicants to not send multiple visa appointment requests. Although there may be a delay when there is a huge volume of applications, the Embassy will reach out in due time to set your appointment. To make sure you’re not running too late to start your studies in Japan, make sure you’re applying for the visa as early as you can!
Complete the Application
Once you receive an invitation to submit the visa application, make sure to drop by the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh office between 9 am and 11 am, on a work day. Alongside your application, you need to submit the following documents:
1. Application form
2. Valid Passport
3. Old Passport (if any)
4. Two Photos (see photo requirement)
5. Eligibility certificate
6. Your updated resume
7. Acceptance letter issued by a Japanese institute (if any)
8. Original academic certificates and photo registration cards (if any)
9. Document certifying financial capabilities (if any)
10. Payment receive receipt and remittance receipt for tuition (if any)
Once you’re done submitting the application, you will receive an application receipt - hold on to this document to track your visa!
Sit for the Visa Interview
The idea of an interview may make you nervous - trust us, you’re not the only one. Your interview will take place at the same time as your submission.
Here are some tips and tricks that may help you during your Japanese student visa interview:
1. Make sure you dress professionally and appropriately for the interview. This will give a good impression to the visa officer.
2. Answer in a straightforward manner and do not provide more information than required.
3. Do not provide false information as it may lead to rejection.
4. Try to stay calm and composed during the interview.
5. You can practice your answers with someone beforehand or record yourself answering common interview questions to help you prepare for the actual interview.
After the interview, follow up with the embassy or consulate to check the status of your visa application. The officials will let you know how to collect your passport. You can find these instructions written on the application receipt too.
Getting Back Your Passport
Your long-awaited day has just arrived! You will receive your passport and all original documents from 14:30 to 15:30 on the instructed day. After that, submit the application receipt. If someone else is going to pick it up, send the application receipt and authorization with your valid signature.
Visa-Related Service Hours
You must wait a minimum of 5 working days for visa issuance. Here is a list of working hours and days to take visa-related services from the Embassy of Japan in Bangladesh.
|Distribution of Visa Application Form||Sunday to Thursday||09:00 am- 05:00 pm|
|Submission of Visa Application||Sunday to Thursday||09:00 am- 11:00 am|
|Gate Close for All Visa Applicants||Sunday to Thursday||10:50 am|
|Interview of Visa Applicant||Usually the same day after the submission of the Documents||9:30 am-12:00 pm|
|Passport Delivery||Usually 5 working days after the interview||2:30 pm- 3:30 pm|
Japan Visa Requirements for Bangladeshi Students
The process of applying for the student visa to Japan involves gathering important documentation, submitting an application, and meeting the requirements set by the Japanese embassy in Bangladesh.
We've already touched these requirements briefly - in this guide, we'll go into further detail about the documents and items you need to prepare for your visa application.
For Study (College/University)
If you are planning to study at a college or university, there are a number of important documents and materials that you will need to prepare and provide. These items are necessary in order to complete the application process and ensure that you are eligible to study at your desired institution.
1. First and foremost, you will need to fill out an application form, which will likely require you to provide information such as your name, contact information, educational background, and other personal details. This form is a crucial part of the application process and will serve as a basis for all subsequent steps.
2. In addition to the application form, you will need to have a valid passport and a photocopy of it. If you have an old passport, you should also provide a photocopy of that. This is important for verifying your identity and ensuring that you are legally allowed to travel and study abroad.
3. You will also need to provide a recent photo of yourself, typically measuring 2 inches by 1.4 inches. This photo will be used for identification purposes and should be of high quality and resolution.
4. If you are not a recipient of a Japanese Government Scholarship, you will need to provide a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which serves as proof that you are eligible to study in Japan. Additionally, you may need to provide a resume outlining your educational and professional experience.
5. If you have already been accepted to a Japanese institute, you should provide an acceptance letter as proof of your admission. You may also need to provide original copies of academic certificates and registration cards, if applicable.
6. If you are self-financing your studies, you will need to provide a document certifying your financial capabilities, such as a bank statement or proof of income. You may also need to provide a payment receipt or remittance receipt for tuition fees, if applicable.
7. Finally, if you have already booked your flight to Japan, you should provide an airline booking slip to demonstrate that you have made travel arrangements.
For Study (Japanese Language School)
If you're planning to study Japanese in Japan, there are several documents you need to prepare to apply for a Japanese Language School.
1. First, you will need to fill out an application form with all the necessary information about yourself. You should also have a passport with one photo (2 inch X 1.4 inch) to prove your identity.
2. You will need a Certificate of Eligibility (COE), which is a document issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan that proves you are eligible to stay in Japan for a specific purpose, such as studying.
3. You will also need an admission certificate from the Japanese language school you plan to attend and a receipt for the admission and tuition fees paid to the school.
4. If you have already taken the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT), you should also include your certificate, if applicable.
5. Additionally, you should provide a certificate from a language school in Bangladesh or any other country you have attended.
6. Furthermore, you will need to include academic certificates, registration cards, and mark sheets of your S.S.C. and H.S.C. exams.
7. A valid airline booking slip is also necessary, as well as a bank statement for six months from your financial supporter.
8. Your financial supporter must also provide tax certificates and paid amount receipts for the past three years. If your supporter is not your parents, you will need to provide details of family history along with necessary passport copies, NID cards, and Nikahnamas to prove the relationship with your financial supporter.
How to Apply for a Japan Student Visa From Bangladesh with Dependents?
To apply for a Japan student visa from Bangladesh with dependents, you need to gather the required documents and book an appointment at the Embassy.
The required documents include:
- the application form, a Certificate of Eligibility (COE),
- a valid passport and photocopy, an old passport (if any) and photocopy,
- one photo,
- a special marriage certificate, or any other relevant marriage registration documents from the legal marriage registrar,
- a Zairyu card copy of the guarantor or spouse,
- an airline booking slip,
- a school certificate (if any),
- a family certificate issued by a governmental institute from Bangladesh (if any),
- and a passport copy of the spouse who is in Japan including all visa pages (if any).
After submitting the required documents, you need to wait for the visa processing time, which is usually around 2 to 3 weeks. Once the visa is approved, you can collect the visa and the passport. It is important to ensure that all the necessary documents are submitted accurately to avoid any delays or rejections.
Do’s and Don’ts
- Research and gather all necessary documents for the visa application
- Provide accurate and honest information in the application form
- Attend the visa interview and provide answers to the questions clearly and honestly
- Pay the visa fee on time and make sure the payment receipt is kept safely
- Check the visa status regularly and make sure the visa is valid before departing for Japan
- Provide false or misleading information in the visa application
- Miss the visa interview without prior notice
- Fail to pay the visa fee on time
- Neglect to check the visa status regularly
- Leave Japan without informing the immigration authorities or without renewing the visa
Japan student visa for Bangladesh students does not allow for work permission. It only allows for study and research activities related to the student's field of study. Any employment activities during the student's stay in Japan are strictly prohibited.
However, if you wish to work while studying in Japan, you can apply for a separate work visa. With a work visa, you can work part-time in Japan at a range of salaries for different jobs. To be eligible, you need to:
- Fill out and submit an "“Application for Permission to Engage in Activities Other than those Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted” - you can find this online on the Bureau of Immigration website or grab a copy in person
- Find an employer who will validate your application to work - e.g. this can be a letter from your employer outlining their intention to hire you
- Provide additional documents, like your student visa, passport, copies of your Certificate of Eligibility (COE), student ID, residence, and health cards, etc.
What Happens When Your Visa Expires?
When a student visa to study in Japan expires, you must either leave the country or apply for an extension or change of status. If you choose to stay in Japan after your visa has expired, you may be considered an overstayer and subject to penalties and fines. Overstaying can also have a negative impact on future visa applications.
If you want to continue your studies, you can apply for a visa extension by submitting a request to the immigration office. The request should include reasons for the extension and proof of financial support. In some cases, an extension may not be approved, and the individual may have to leave the country and reapply for a new visa.
In some cases, you may also be able to change your visa status to another type of visa that allows you to stay in Japan. For example, you can apply for a working visa or a dependent visa if you are married to a Japanese citizen.
It is important to follow the rules and regulations regarding visas in Japan to avoid overstaying and any negative consequences.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much bank balance is required for a Japan student visa?
Typically, the minimum required bank balance for a Japan student visa is around 3 to 4 million yen or 20,000-30,000 USD. However, the amount may vary depending on the length of your stay, the school you will be attending, and your living expenses.
Is a Japanese student visa easy to get?
Getting a Japanese student visa can be a straightforward process as long as you plan and prepare. You need to meet the requirements and provide all the necessary documentation. The following are the general steps to obtain a Japanese student visa:
- Enroll in a Japanese language school or educational institution recognized by the Japanese government
- Obtain a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Japanese government or authorized organization
- Submit the application for a student visa along with the required documents, such as a passport, COE, and proof of financial support, to the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country
- Attend an interview with a consular officer if necessary
- Wait for the visa to be processed and receive your visa
It is important to note that the visa application process and requirements can vary depending on your home country, the type of school or institution you are attending, and other factors.
Our Concluding Thoughts
Pursuing education in Japan from Bangladesh is a life-changing experience. The Japanese education system offers a high standard of education and practical exposure. It is an ideal destination for students who wish to gain both academic and practical skills.
However, the visa process can be overwhelming and confusing, particularly for international students. It is essential to have comprehensive information and guidance. You must be very clear by now about the requirements and procedures for obtaining a student visa.
By understanding the visa process and the education system in Japan, you can make informed decisions and achieve your academic goals. It is also essential to have continued support and guidance throughout the entire process. When in doubt, reach out to experts specialising in getting the Japan student visa from Bangladesh!