- Public University, Estd 1663
- Québec, Quebec
- 0 Course
- More than 45,000 students, 65% of whom are full-time and 27% are in graduate programs
- More than 230 student associations
- 1,650 professors, 2,400 lecturers, and 3,000 staff members
- 2,500 students working on campus
- Over 60 departments, schools, and institutes and 500 programs in 17 faculties
- 51 educational leadership chairs
- 40 research centers recognized by the University Council, 11 interdisciplinary institutes, 4 international joint units, and 2 joint research units
- 4 Canada Excellence Research Chairs, 94 Canada Research Chairs, and 92 partnership research chairs
- Student residences offering more than 2,300 rooms
- 7,700 international students or permanent residents, making up 15% of the total student body
- Over 319,000 alumni worldwide
- An acceptance rate of 59%
University at a Glance
- UG/PG Course
- No. of
- Yearly Hostel &
Université Laval, the very first French-language university in North America, is a public research university in Quebec City, Canada. It is also the oldest centre of higher education in Canada as it has been almost 350 years since its establishment in 1663. Francois De Montmorency-Laval, the first Bishop of New France, founded the university. In the past, the university went by Seminaire De Quebec. The university's current name translates to Laval University, although it sometimes goes by UL in reference to its French name.
Laval University's only campus consists of over 30 buildings in modern-style architecture. More than 45,000 students, 7,700 of whom are international, learn within these buildings and call this campus home. They can pick from over 500 undergraduate and graduate programs. 60 departments, schools, and institutes are under the following 17 faculties:
- Administrative Sciences
- Agriculture and Food sciences
- Architecture, Urban Planning and Visual arts
- Forestry, Geography and Geomatics
- Hautes Études Internationales
- Postgraduate Studies
- Science and Engineering
- Social Sciences
- Theology and Religious Studies
The university offers on-campus housing in four Residence Halls: Alphonse-Marie-Parent, Biermans-Mourad, Ernest-Lemieux, and Agathe-Lacerte. More than 230 student associations are available for students under two student unions: CADEUL, for undergraduates, and AELIÉS, for graduate students.
UL comprises four of the 19 Canada Excellence Research Chairs: Research Excellence Chair in Remote Sensing, Research Excellence Chair in Photonic Innovations, Research Excellence Chair in Microbiome-Endocannabinoidome in Metabolic Health, and Excellence Chair in Neurophotonics. It also has 94 Canada Research Chairs and 92 partnership research chairs to its name. The University Council recognizes the 40 research centres of Laval University. 11 interdisciplinary institutes, four international joint units, and two joint research units are also run by this school.
Université Laval has 1,650 professors, 2,400 lecturers, and 3,000 staff members overseeing its education and management. The university has a list of over 319,000 notable alumni worldwide. The list includes Louis St. Laurent, Niklaus Wirth, Charles Fitzpatrick, Brian Mulroney, Jacques-Edouard Alexis, Gaston Miron, Edith Butler, Marcel Aubut, Manon Brouillette, and Ed Millaire.
Fees & Admissions Requirements
Check out the tuition fee ranges, entry requirements, intake dates,
and more for Laval University
SOP: Needed for few courses
Get a headstart on finding the right student housing on- or off-campus for
Laval University through our handy list of options below!
- The university offers on-campus housing in four Residence Halls:
- The Alphonse-Marie-Parent, Biermans-Moraud and Ernest-Lemieux offers accommodation to both men and women
- The Agathe-Lacerte offers accommodation to women only
- More than 2,300 rooms
- Rooms come furnished
- Rate starts from $368
- Amenities include:
- Rooms accessible to people with reduced mobility
- Wireless Internet
- Sports Centre (PEPS)
- Public transit
- Food services
Campus & Contact
Explore Laval University’s campuses, location, and surroundings, and get in touch with the university itself to find out more!
2325 Rue de l'Université, Québec City, Québec, G1V 0A6 Canada
Review This University!
Are you a student or alumnus of this university? Share your review with prospective students.
Rate this university