- Public University, Estd 1878
- London, Ontario
- 50 Courses
- Ranks among the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide according to all major rankings
- One of the founding members of the U15, a committee of Canada’s most distinguished research universities
- Entrance average of 90.6% for first-year students - one of the highest in the nation
- One of the highest first- to second-year retention rates in Canada at 93.6%
- 24 Rhode scholars
- 26 faculty recipients of 3M National Teaching Fellowships, which is the second-highest in Canada
- An employment rate of 95.2% after graduation
- 5.7 million library book holdings
- Provides more than $25 million in financial assistance to students
- All programs offer internships, co-op, or practicum
- An acceptance rate of 53
University at a Glance
- UG/PG Course
- No. of
- Yearly Hostel &
Meals Expense$14.2K - 16.9K
The University of Western Ontario, a public research university, is based in London, Ontario of Canada. Its journey began as the Western University of London Ontario 143 years ago in 1878. Today, it mainly goes by the name of Western University, although some people often shorten it to UOW or simply Western. Western University is now ranked among the top 1% of higher education institutions worldwide. It is home to 40,000 students currently. Among them, 5,800 international students have come from 128 countries. It also serves as the school of learning for 328,000 alumni in 160 countries worldwide.
Students at Western can choose from 400 different undergraduate majors, minors, and specializations. They also have the option of studying under 170 international learning programs in 140 countries. The following 12 faculties and schools manage the undergraduate and graduate programs:
- Faculty of:
- Social Science
- Arts and Humanities
- Information and Media Studies
- Health Sciences
- Don Wright Faculty of Music
- School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
- Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry
- Ivey School of Business
UWO facilitates its students with services on its only campus. Aside from academics and learning, the campus also showcases art and culture. Students can enjoy live performances in the Don Wright Faculty of Music, feature films in the McKellar Room at UCC, or interactive art exhibits at the McIntosh Gallery or the ArtLab Gallery. They can also join one of 180 clubs on-campus. Computer, career, and family support are some other perks that come with studying at Western University. Athletics, recreation, and wellness are also a massive part of Western's proud history. The Western Mustangs have brought in many trophies and awards over the years. The Campus Recreation Center opens its doors to athletes and non-athletes alike.
Western University offers one of the best residential facilities and housing in Canada. First-year students can live in traditional-style buildings such as Delaware Hall, Medway-Sydenham Hall, or Saugeen Maitland Hall. Suite-style housing includes Alumni Hall, Elgin Hall, Essex Hall, Lambton Hall, and London Hall. The Ontario and Perth Halls constitute a hybrid style. Upper-year students can reserve rooms at the Alumni Hall and London Hall. All residences come with dining and other facilities.
The University of Western Ontario keeps research as its first priority. It was one of the founding members of the committee of top research universities in Canada, U-15. Six of Western's research areas ranked in the top 100 globally. Currently, it manages 207 active licenses through WORLD Discoveries. 50 active spin-off companies have come out of this university as well.
Fees & Admissions Requirements
Check out the tuition fee ranges, entry requirements, intake dates,
and more for Western University
SOP: Needed for few courses
|Application fees||CAD 12 - 150|
Get a headstart on finding the right student housing on- or off-campus for
Western University through our handy list of options below!
- Nine residences are available on-campus
- Options include three residence styles: traditional, suite-style, and hybrid-style
- Residence counselling, managers, front desks, internet service, safety and security, and student leaders are available
- First-Year Building Features:
- 24-hr Front Desk Access
- Workout Room
- Laundry Facilities
- Music Practice Room
- Study and Floor Lounge
- Regular Housekeeping
- Building-Wide Wifi
- Dining centers and meal plans are accessible
Link for on-campus housing:https://residence.uwo.ca/
Explore the courses Western University has to offer to find the right program for you!
Campus & Contact
Explore Western University’s campuses, location, and surroundings, and get in touch with the university itself to find out more!
1151 Richmond Street London, Ontario, Canada, N6A 3K7
Review This University!
Are you a student or alumnus of this university? Share your review with prospective students.
Rate this university