Munster Technological University
- Public University, Estd 2021
- Cork, Munster
- 50 Courses
- Gained university status in January 2021 after the merging of Cork Institute of Technology and Institute of Technology, Tralee
- Second technological university in Ireland
- Six campuses with four in Cork and two in Kerry
- Over 18,000 students enrolling in more than 140 courses and programs
- MTU Cork and Kerry host respective research facilities, faculties, and accommodation services
University at a Glance
Ratio1 : 0.81
- UG/PG Course
Ratio1 : 0.85
- No. of
Ireland’s second technological university and one of its youngest, Munster Technological University (MTU) is the result of a merger between Cork Institute of Technology (CIT), and Institute of Technology, Tralee (IT Tralee). MTU officially began its operations in January 2021.
Despite only recently getting university status, MTU bears the academic legacies of the two institutes comprising it. The Sunday Times has named CIT their Institute of Technology of the Year several times. It has been active since 1974, beginning as the Cork Regional Technical College. In 1997, it became the Cork Institute of Technology, which eventually became MTU Cork. The Institute of Technology, Tralee, now MTU Kerry, has been operational since 1977.
Between MTU Cork and MTU Kerry, the Munster Technological University spans across six campuses. Four of these are in Cork:
- Cork School of Music
- Crawford College of Art and Design
- National Maritime College of Ireland
The remaining two campuses are in Kerry County:
- Tralee North Campus
- Tralee South Campus
Across these campuses, MTU hosts over 18,000 students, enrolling in more than 140 courses and programs. 83 courses and programs are available at MTU Cork, and 131 available at MTU Kerry. The six campuses serve as focal points for departments and faculties across the various disciplines MTU specializes in.
- Bishopstown Campus offers courses in:
- Media Communications
- Crawford College of Art and Design hosts the Department of Fine Art & Contemporary Applied Art
- Cork School of Music offers degrees in:
- Theatre & Drama
- Popular Music
- National Maritime College of Ireland awards degrees in:
- Nautical Science
- Marine Engineering
- Marine Electrotechnology
- Tralee North Campus offers degrees in:
- Biological & Pharmaceutical
- Business & Management
- Creative Media
- Culinary Arts & Cookery
- Leisure & Fitness
- Hospitality & Hotel Management
- Information Science/Systems
- Outdoor Activity
- Renewable Energy
- Social Sciences
- Computing & Technology
- Tourism & Wildlife
- Tralee South Campus is home to three schools, i.e., the Schools of:
- Business, Computing & Humanities
- Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics
- Health & Social Sciences
Alongside the wide and diverse range of specialisations students can pursue at MTU, they also have access to state-of-the-art facilities. These include sports centres, swimming pools, research and industry support centres, including the repurposed Black Rock Castle Observatory and innovation and enterprise incubators.
The Cork and Kerry campuses offer their own accommodation services. MTU Cork and MTU Kerry also offer their own student support facilities, which can be accessed through their respective websites.
MTU Cork and MTU Kerry have respective research facilities, centres, and areas of specialization. They also have entrepreneurial and innovation facilities. The Rubicon Centre at MTU Cork and the Tom Crean Centre at MTU Kerry are business incubators to enable innovation and enterprise.
Get a headstart on finding the right student housing on- or off-campus for
Munster Technological University through our handy list of options below!
MTU Cork and MTU Kerry can assist students in finding nearby student accommodation through respective accommodation support services.
Explore the courses Munster Technological University has to offer to find the right program for you!
Campus & Contact
Explore Munster Technological University’s campuses, location, and surroundings, and get in touch with the university itself to find out more!
MTU - Cork Campus Bishopstown Cork, Ireland. T12 P928 MTU - Kerry Campus Tralee Kerry, Ireland. V92 HD4V
+353 (0)21 432 6100
Review This University!
Are you a student or alumnus of this university? Share your review with prospective students.
Rate this university