Waterford Institute of Technology
- Public University, Estd 1970
- Waterford, Munster
- 49 Courses
- One of Ireland’s largest institutes of technology
- Five campuses: Cork Road, College Street, Carriganore, the Applied Technology Building, and the Granary
- Six schools offering almost 70 undergraduate and over 60 postgraduate courses, as well as part-time, add-on undergraduate, and springboard courses
- Over 8,000 students of whom 16% are international
- Two libraries offering over 180,000 print resources, 120,000 e-books, and over a million online articles
- Over 60 clubs and societies
- €136 million in research funding over the past decade
- Five research institutes and centres, including the Walton Research Institute
University at a Glance
Ratio49 : 51
- No. of
- Yearly Hostel &
Originally the Regional Technical College, Waterford, the Waterford Institute of Technology (WIT) is one of Ireland’s largest institutes of technology. It has been in operation since 1970, though only getting its present name in 1997. The institute began awarding its own certifications formally for its tertiary level programs in 2001. WIT has featured several times in the Sunday Times rankings for top higher education providers in Ireland.
The school operates across five campuses, with its main campus on Cork Road. College Street, Carriganore, the Applied Technology Building, and the Granary make up the rest of the campuses. These sites altogether are home to the institute’s six schools and their respective departments. These are the Schools of:
- Business, consisting of the Departments of
- Accountancy & Economics
- Management & Organisation
- Graduate Business Studies
- Lifelong Learning & Education, consisting of the Departments of
- Lifelong Learning
- Engineering, consisting of the Departments of
- Built Environment
- Engineering Technology
- Health Sciences, made up of the Departments of
- Nursing & Health Care
- Health, Sport, & Exercise Science
- Humanities, consisting of the Departments of
- Applied Arts
- Creative & Performing Arts
- Languages, Tourism, & Hospitality Studies
- Science and Computing, consisting of the Departments of
- Chemical & Life Sciences
- Computing and Maths
WIT offers almost 70 courses at undergraduate level and over 60 at postgraduate level. Add-on undergraduate, part-time, and springboard courses are available as well.
Over 8,000 students enrol at this institute. A majority of these, over 7,200, are undergraduate students. 16% of the student body, a considerable number, are international students. Additionally, WIT has nearly 1,000 staff members.
Among state-of-the-art facilities on-campus, students have access to two libraries. The Luke Wadding Library and the College Street Campus Library collectively hold over 180,000 print resources, 120,000 e-books, and over a million online articles. Student support services are also available, including disability support, Careers Development Centre, P2P Peer Mentoring, counselling, the Computing and Maths Learning Centre, and more.
The engaging and lively campus life of WIT offers students the opportunity to join WIT Vikings sports clubs and societies. There are over 60 clubs and societies to choose from, spanning everything from kayaking and kickboxing to men’s and ladies’ Gaelic football. The institute also offers on-campus housing via College Campus and City Campus. Accommodation services can assist students in finding nearby off-campus residences as well.
WIT is a research-focused institute and has over the past decade received €136 million in research funding. The institute’s researchers consistently and successfully compete with university-led projects for national and EU funding. WIT is home to the Walton Research Institute, as well as the:
- Pharmaceutical & Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre (PMBrc)
- South Eastern Applied Materials Research Centre (SEAM)
- Eco-Innovation Centre
- Nutrition Research Centre Ireland (NRCI)
Fees & Admissions Requirements
Check out the tuition fee ranges, entry requirements, intake dates,
and more for Waterford Institute of Technology
Get a headstart on finding the right student housing on- or off-campus for
Waterford Institute of Technology through our handy list of options below!
WIT offers both on-campus and off-campus accommodation options for students through Student Accommodation services.
On-campus options include:
- College Campus
- Located on WIT’s main campus
- 66 single en-suite rooms
- Three rooms adapted for disability support
- Facilities include:
- 24/7 Security (including CCTV)
- Live-in Warden
- City Campus
- 94 apartments with a capacity of 360 beds, across two apartment blocks
- Close to the main campus
- Adapted rooms for disability support
- Rooms include deluxe en-suite, en-suite, and single bedrooms
- Facilities include:
- Fully-furnished kitchens
- Shuttle bus service
Explore the courses Waterford Institute of Technology has to offer to find the right program for you!
Campus & Contact
Explore Waterford Institute of Technology’s campuses, location, and surroundings, and get in touch with the university itself to find out more!
Main Campus Cork Road, Waterford City, Co. Waterford, Ireland Eircode: X91 K0EK
+353 51 30 2000
Review This University!
Are you a student or alumnus of this university? Share your review with prospective students.
Rate this university