- Public University, Estd 1872
- Aberystwyth, Wales
- 0 Course
- Established in 1872 as a university college
- Became a university in 2007
- Three campuses and three academic faculties
- 22 academic departments and 19 professional service departments
- Over 6,000 students, of whom 2,000 are from overseas
- First university to establish a Department of International Politics
- First “Plastic Free University” status winner in the world
- The biggest university in the UK by landmass (Higher Education Statistics Agency 2018)
- First consecutive winner of the “University of the Year for Teaching Quality” award (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019)
- 93rd in the UK for research (Scimago Institutions Rankings 2021)
University at a Glance
- UG/PG Course
- No. of
- Yearly Hostel &
Meals Expense£3.3K - 6.4K
Established in 1872, Aberystwyth University is one of the oldest institutions in Wales. It used to be a university college. In 2007, it received university status.
It has three campuses and owns over 1,709 hectares of land. This huge area makes it the biggest university by land in the UK according to Higher Education Statistics Agency 2018. The town is university-centered and sits along the west coast of Wales.
There are three academic faculties with 22 departments. They offer around 600 courses across all programs. The university also offers joint honors, distance learning, and research courses. It is the first university in the world to found a Department of International Politics. Other popular courses include Business, Art, Science, and Social Sciences.
Every year, this institution hosts around 6,000 students. Among them, 2,000 students are international. There are also over 2,300 staff members.
The university offers around 11 public halls. Two halls are for Welsh-speaking students. Nine halls are self-catered. Single, double, and en-suite rooms and studio flats are available as well. The booking fee is £100. The contract period ranges from 39 weeks to 50 weeks.
Aberystwyth offers several scholarships for international students. Global Wales Scholarships are notable among them. Other bursaries are subject to merit and sports, or cultural skills. Detailed information is available on the varsity website.
Overseas students must follow the UKVI language protocol for visa purposes. This college also accepts non-country-specific English test scores. They include IELTS, TOEFL, PTE, CAE, CPE, and ISE. The varsity website lists subject- and country-specific requirements.
This college focuses a great deal on sustainability. It is known as the first "Plastic Free University" in the world. The campuses reflect beautiful Welsh culture and history. They contain sports centers, research centers, and libraries. An investment of over £100m towards campus development is ongoing.
This university is the first to win the Times and Sunday Times "The University of the Year for teaching excellence" award for two consecutive years. It also ranks 93rd in the UK for research according to Scimago Institutions Rankings 2021. With all these achievements Aberystwyth University holds a reputed place in the world.
Get a headstart on finding the right student housing on- or off-campus for
Aberystwyth University through our handy list of options below!
- 11 public halls
- Two Welsh-medium halls
- Nine self-catered halls
- Single, double, and en-suite rooms, and studio flats available
- Booking fee is £100
- Rent fee is all-inclusive
- Facilities like free sports center membership, internet service, kitchen, 24/7 support, and laundry available
- The contract period ranges from 39 weeks to 50 weeks
- The estimated annual pricing range is £3,331 - £6,360 (USD 4,588.32 – USD 8,760.65)
For more information: https://www.aber.ac.uk/en/accommodation/
Campus & Contact
Explore Aberystwyth University’s campuses, location, and surroundings, and get in touch with the university itself to find out more!
Aberystwyth University, Reception, Penglais Campus, Aberystwyth, Ceredigion, SY23 3FL
+44 (0) 1970 62 2990
Review This University!
Are you a student or alumnus of this university? Share your review with prospective students.
Rate this university