University of Strathclyde
- Public University, Estd 1796
- Glasgow, Scotland
- 0 Course
- The second-oldest university in Glasgow
- The third-largest university by student count in Scotland
- Established in 1796
- Earned university status in 1964
- Four faculties and 28 academic departments
- Over 23,000 students from 100 countries
- Around 4,800 overseas students make up 21% of the student body
- “University of the Year” as awarded by Times Higher Education Awards 2019
- Ranked 4th in the UK for student satisfaction (Times Higher Education 2021 National Student Survey)
- 46th in the UK for research (Scimago Institutions Rankings 2021)
University at a Glance
- UG/PG Course
- No. of
- Yearly Hostel &
Meals Expense£4.1K - 7.0K
The University of Strathclyde is a reputed institution located in Scotland. It is the second-oldest university in Glasgow. Established in 1796, it received university status in 1964.
Four faculties and 28 departments offer more than 450 courses. The student body of over 23,000 makes it the third-largest university in Scotland. It welcomes around 4,800 overseas students covering 21% of the total number.
The school offers eight halls to all students. Various rooms such as single, shared, and en-suite rooms are available. Resident students get free access to many facilities. This includes Strathclyde Sport, which contains a gym, swimming pool, cycling area, sauna rooms, and other sports halls. Students can opt for private housing as well. The StrathUnion Advice Hub provides consultation on this matter.
Strathclyde offers around 105 scholarships. The varsity website helps students seek information on country-specific funding. There are faculty-specific merit scholarships as well. Students can also apply for other external funding.
This school accepts various English test scores. IELTS is the most common one. Other tests include TOEFL, PTE, ISE, and more. Required scores may vary depending on the faculty. The university also offers many preparatory English courses.
Students coming from 100 different countries create a global community at this institution. The campus is located at the heart of Glasgow. Glasgow ranks as the 8th best city in the world according to Time Out Index 2019. It’s also the 28th best student city of 2022, and the 3rd best in the UK, according to QS Top Universities. The campus investment is set to reach £1bn by 2025. The Learning and Teaching building project, costing £60m, is currently ongoing.
This institution is a leading technological university. It focuses on research as well. It ranks 46th in the UK for research strength (Scimago Institutions Rankings 2021). Times Higher Education Awards places Strathclyde as the "University of the Year 2019". It ranks 4th for student satisfaction (Times Higher Education 2021 National Student Survey). These features make the University of Strathclyde a popular choice to consider among UK universities.
Get a headstart on finding the right student housing on- or off-campus for
University of Strathclyde through our handy list of options below!
- Eight university-managed halls
- Various rooms such as single, shared, and en-suite rooms are available
- 24/7 Wi-Fi, utilities, cleaning, students support, and security available
- Free access to Strathclyde Sport consisting of a gym, sports halls, cycling area, and swimming pools
- Accommodation length ranges from 39 weeks to 50 weeks
- Pricing range estimates £4,056 - £7,050 (USD 5,590.36 - USD 9,721.49)
- Various housing bursaries available as well
- The StrathUnion Advice Hub provides consultation on private accommodation
For more information: https://www.strath.ac.uk/studywithus/accommodation
Campus & Contact
Explore University of Strathclyde’s campuses, location, and surroundings, and get in touch with the university itself to find out more!
University of Strathclyde 16 Richmond Street Glasgow G1 1XQ
+44 (0) 141 552 4400
Review This University!
Are you a student or alumnus of this university? Share your review with prospective students.
Rate this university